Friday, February 6, 2009

The VP's (1)

So here we come to the important stuff!

VP Social
The Candidates: Alexandre Chaput & Jean Guillaume
This is a toss-up. I had class during their debate (I only actually saw two of the debates) so I am going on their written platforms and websites, etc. In that regard, I have to throw my support behind Alexandre Chaput. WHile neither of these two guys is putting out anything interesting or exciting, there is one thing that Jean Guillaume is proposing that I don't think is a good idea. He want to open up the u101 week events/shows to all students.

VP Finance
The Candidates: Roxanne Dubois & Maureen Hasinoff
The vp finance has arguable the biggest portfolio, as they are in charge of all the SFUO businesses. I talked with Maureen Hasinoff yesterday, and although she strongly supports the u-Pass, I feel that she is the best candidate. Maureen's idea for "goods surplus management" could, in her plan, lead to offering scholarships to low-income students, meanwhile Roxanne Dubois wants to give students a say through "consultations". Consultations is a buzz word for we tell people what the budget is going to be before it is implemented. Roxanne is also pushing "OHIP for all", which is something that I have strong hesitations towards. We get OHIP because we (or our parents) pay taxes! They should be able to receive OHIP without paying into the system.

VP Communications
There is only one candidate running, the current VP Comm, Julie Seguin. I would love it if she received more "NO" votes. How many e-mails have you received from the SFUO regarding events or campaigns? How many times have you stumbled onto an event, or found out about it the next day? Why is the only method of communication a poster on the SFUO office window? How come, on the SFUO website, there is a note saying that the online calendar will be up shortly, and the note has been there for as long as I can remember?

VP Student Affairs
There is also only one candidate for this position, Michele Lamarche. I don't see a problem with her platform, and she is the current vp-com. franco for Arts.

VP University Affairs
The Candidates: Ted Horton, Sydney Loko, Cameron Montgomery & Jeremy Stuart
On paper, I chose Jeremy Stuart, however, he was not present at the debate. I checked his website, and it appears he is still in the race, so he still has my vote. Ted Horton is just Seamus II, with an intonation that feels very condescending. If we are looking for new faces in the SFUO, and ones that are actually representative of who we are as a campus and students body, we only have two choices in this position, Jeremy Stuart or Sydney Loko, who help found the West African Youth Association on Campus. However, my vote will be for Jeremy Stuart, since his platform takes over where Seamus Wolfe ignored, by focusing on the student issues, such as maintaining entrance scholarships and working WITH the Admin and not against them.

To sum up:
VP-Social: Alexandre Chaput
VP-Finance: Maureen Hasinoff
VP-Communications: NO
VP-Student Affairs: YES
VP-University Affairs: Jeremy Stuart

The President Post is next!

2 comments:

  1. I agree re: poor communication! Just the other day I was walking through the uni centre and what to my wondering eyes should appear but a poster in the SFUO window advertising ski trips! (I've been wanting to see how Quebec mountains compare to BC ones since forever.) I was kind of frustrated though because I never would have known about this had not the poster caught my eye. I know that the SFUO sends out monthly email bulletins, but an online calendar really would be a good addition.

    ReplyDelete