Friday, February 13, 2009

Voter Turnout

We had a historic night. But is it something to be proud of? I don't know.

I am not labelling it a failure. But I am also not calling it a success. A success implies that you are done. When you are working at a difficult task, when you are done, you may find yourself saying "Success!" Or when someone asks you how you were, you may reply "successful" if you were.

No one is to blame for it not being a "success". Wassim and Sylvia gave every student the opportunity to get informed, and each received up to three e-mails. They should be applauded for giving us such an increase in turnout. But we must take what we have learned over this election and do even better next yeara and continue the great efforts made this year.

What could we have done? I would have liked to see a second debate. Whether this what have helped I do not know, since it wasn't like there were 30 000 students at the first debate. I might go as far to say that this year our elections bureau is not to blame for not reaching a higher turnout, but perhaps the candidates could have reached out more. But I digress, we had over 7500 votes. That's pretty spectacular right there. When you figure that Dean Haldenby received 651 for his mandate this year. So even I am spinning my wheels here. Which is why I am glad I am not in charge of the elections bureau.

No comments:

Post a Comment