Monday, February 9, 2009

Voter Turnout

Voting begins tomorrow. I would be overjoyed if we had an excellent showing but I am not holding my breath.

Remember the CFS referendum? Remember the fervour? It seemed like almost everyone knew something about the vote (even if it was only that the vote was going on). There were SO many people campaigning in the halls. Basically at every turn in a major building there was someone telling you to vote yes. We only hit 20% for that one. I don't see that same fervour for our SFUO elections.

I don't even know if e-voting will increase anything. I mean, when you had the paper ballots and polling stations people still just walked by.

The polling stations are still going to exist, but with laptops so that people can vote. If the process for voting online on-campus takes too long (due to an overload on the already unreliable wifi) how long are the line-ups going to be? And what will get those people who used to simply walk by the polling station to stop and vote? Why would they say, oh man, I can vote online, SWEEET!! NOW I'M GONNA FOR SURE!

We will def beat last year’s by-election turnout of 3.75%, but I think anything around 20% should be seen as a good turnout, and would say that an estimate of 20% is optimistic. But again, if we get a huge turnout, I will be quite pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment