Friday, February 13, 2009

An Open Letter to Marc Kelly

Dear Mr. Kelly:

You are an afront to our university community and I am asking you to stop.

You do not represent the will of the students, because we whole heartedly disagree with you. Do you remember the debates, where people openly laughed at your ideas?

There is a general admiration for Mr Rock on our campus. I would almost go as far as saying we are proud to have him as our President. I will say that I personally am proud to have him as our President.

I have no problem with you finishing your degree, under the conditions supplied by diplomatic relations with the faculty. But this public persona needs to end, for you are embarrassing us. It is time for you to step back, not e-mail students with your unsolicited e-mails.

No doubt you will disagree with what I am asking you to do, and that is your right. We had quite the debate tonight, and you could not formulate adequate responses to even keep me guessing. You sir, did not even come close to winning me over to your plight, but managed to drive me away.

Many will agree with me in saying that we choose to come to this university. We are but patrons of this institution, clients if you will. If you have a problem with the system, of merely being a customer of the university and the degree being merely a receipt, then your sir have a problem with the large scale. You are not Socrates. You are not Thoreau. It is not up to you to alter the entire system that we do not have a problem with. I come here to learn. I came here to learn from a person who has a PhD. I do not think I should be able to choose how my course is laid out.

That is all I will say. But I urge to take this to heart. No one deserves to be mistreated, and I have sympathy if you have been. However, the ball is in your court now. But I urge you to do the right thing: Mr Rock is a very intelligent individual. He knows how to win.

Sincerely,

Kenneth Joly

No comments:

Post a Comment