Friday, February 13, 2009

An Open Letter to Renaud-Philippe Garner

Dear Renaud:

I must admit, the first encounter I had with you was not favourable. You came into one of my classes and started talking about the Drop Fees Rally. I thought you were pretentious; you used the word "shant". I also had no idea who you were, or your name, or anything.

I have been an un-involved student for many years, choosing to turn my back on the SFUO who had turned their back on me. I decided this year to change that. When the election campaign began I decided to start writing about them. When the time came for me to support a candidate for President I sat down with the Fulcrum's election pull-out and really looked at the platforms. Yours was the only one that gave any actual ideas, any concrete plans. Less BS more action, more goals that we could accomplish in one meeting, no unattainable visions. I decided then that I would support you.

I must admit, I still did not connect you as a candidate for President to the person who I disliked in my classroom. That was, until you gave a classroom presentation in one of my classes. It was there that I was able to connect it.

But, my friend, you captured something on this campus. You captured our imaginations. No longer did our President have to be antagonistic. Our President can be diplomatic. Images of an adored SFUO raced through my head. I had trouble even imagining a situation where I did not hate the SFUO, let alone like it. You sir, accomplished something here. And for that, I give you my thanks.

I enjoyed our conversations. I enjoyed how you were an approachable candidate. I imagined an SFUO President who could not walk through the University Centre without being stopped constantly by conversation. That is what we needed on this campus.

I hope we meet again. And again, I thank you.

Sincerely,

Kenneth Joly

No comments:

Post a Comment