Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Democracy with a capital 'D', or is that the mark for e-voting?

So the PIN's for the Anglophone students arrive, over 8 hours later than expected. So I did get to vote.

SO what happenes if this PIN distribution error is only the tip of the iceberg? I mean: come on, when the e-mail says please don't forward, someone is bound to forward it lol. Or if someone re-routes a bunch of @uOttawa.ca address to receive a bunch of pins and logons. Yeah, you may scoff, but think of what would be the consequences. When the computer science department think that e-voting is a mistake, I am inclined to agree.

We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. And I will just say for the record, e-voting is the type of thing to go for a referendum, not the bunk we get fed every year on the ballot.

UPDATE: It seems that everyone has received their ballot by now. Let's hope that sending each student an e-mail will help increase turnout. I guess the system was simple enough too. I also think that having the link to the platform technically violated the SFUO Constitution. Here's hoping everything works!

1 comment: